- Recommended Citation:
- Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN. 1996. Archive of Census Related Products (ACRP): 1990 Standard Extract Files. Palisades, NY: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). http://dx.doi.org/10.7927/H46Q1V51. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
- Download this Citation:
Please check the Research Note field for issues pertaining to importing authors that are organizations.
ENW Use this format for EndNote and RefWorks software.
RIS Use this format for ProCite, Reference Manager and Zotero software.
The standard extract files describe the nation's population and housing characteristics. These data files are organized by state and contain 225 FAFVAR (Frequently Asked For Variables) derived from 1990 STF3A, including standard geographic identification variables (Federal Information Processing Standards [FIPS codes]). Polygon centroids in latitude-longitude are also included. Population data tabulated for each polygon contains demographic information about age distribution, education levels, ethnicity, income distribution, labor force status, children, and housing attributes. Housing items include the size and state of the housing unit, value of the unit, water, sewage, heating, monthly owner costs and other related information.
- The data files are sub-divided by geographic level: county, county subdivisions, place-within-county, tract/block numbering area (bna), and blockgroup. Each file contains a unique POLID field which matches a similar field in the corresponding TIGER-based boundary files.
- Tract and blockgroup files are grouped by MSA and CMSA code (non-metro remainder of state files "9999"). These files are consistent with the organization of the TIGER based boundary files, with the exception of the New England states.
- Data files are available for metro, 5-digit ZIP code, and place-within-state census geographic entities. These have no corresponding boundary files.
- Demographic data files were split into "a" and "b" sub-files to accomodate dBase III, which is limited to 128 variables. The "a" and "b" files can be matched on the corresponding POLID field.
directory path: /pub/census/usa/stf
Entire United States
Comma Separated Value (.CSV)
Several format conversion programs (code) reside in /pub/census/.support/pub.census.usa.stf.0code.