- To provide an easily accessible, corrected EPA data set of the geo-referenced locations displayed as points for all the National Priorities List (NPL) Superfund sites in the United States, Puerto Rico, and other territories.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Priorities List (NPL) Sites Point Data with CIESIN Modifications, Version 2 is a modified version of the 2014 EPA NPL list. It includes all the sites that are proposed, currently on, or deleted from the Final NPL as of February 27, 2014. CIESIN has fixed eleven of the original coordinates by correcting latitude or longitude coordinates. It contains the point locations, including the eleven corrections, for 1,747 U.S. hazardous waste sites on the National Priorities List (NPL) of EPA's Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Information System (CERCLIS) for the fifty states, Puerto Rico, and 4 other territorial areas plus the now independent Palau, Federated States of Micronesia. The sites in CERCLIS are also known as Superfund Sites. The NPL is intended primarily to guide the EPA in determining which sites warrant further investigation.
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
United States Environmental Protection Agency - US EPA, National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences Columbia University Superfund Research Program - NIEHS CU SRP, and Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN - Columbia University. 2014. U.S. EPA National Priorities List (NPL) Sites Point Data with CIESIN Modifications, Version 2. Palisades, NY: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). http://dx.doi.org/10.7927/H44X55RB. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
- Available Formats:
- tabular, map, map service