- View Recommended Citation(s)
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN. 1996. Archive of Census Related Products (ACRP): 1992 Boundary Files. Palisades, NY: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). https://doi.org/10.7927/H47P8W9V. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
The boundary files contain census geographic entities extracted from the TIGER/Line Files, 1992. These data have been processed to create the following:
- State boundary files for county, county subdivision (mcd), place, 1990 tract/block numbering area, blockgroup, and 1980 tract and mcd's (where available). The tract and blockgroup files are grouped by MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) and CMSA (Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area).
- County boundary files for all census blocks. Each census block is identified by a unique POLygon IDentification (POLID) field which matches the POLID in the STF data.
directory path: /pub/census/usa/tiger/xx (where xx represents the state postal codes).
directory path: /pub/census/usa/tiger/xx/bnablk (where xx represents the state postal codes).
Example data for the state of Massachusetts:
-70.023632, 41.788184 -70.023462, 41.788020
-70.023632, 41.788184 "250010000.00099B","099B","250010000.00099B","blk",93
-70.603506, 41.511693 -70.592881, 41.511135 -70.560285, 41.509219
Boundary ASCII Format (BNA); The BNA file format can be directly imported into ATLAS GIS (SMI). It can also be converted for other desktop packages, like MAPINFO, ARC/INFO, SAS, etc.
Several format conversion programs (code) reside in /pub/census/.support/. These include:
- atlsbna.sas - converts SAS Gmap dataset to Atlas BNA format
- bna2sas.sas - converts BNA files to SAS Gmap format
- bna2mif.c - converts BNA files to MapInfo format
- cnty2met.sas - converts county code to metro code
- cnvtdlm.sas - converts SAS dataset to sequential file in delimited format
- latlonm - converts x-y coordinates from latitude, longitude to miles
- mlatlon - converts x-y coordinates from miles to latitude, longitude