- To provide quantitative metrics for evaluating a country's environmental performance in different policy categories relative to clearly defined targets.
- The 2010 Environmental Performance Index (EPI) ranks 163 countries on environmental performance based on twenty-five indicators grouped within ten core policy categories addressing environmental health, air quality, water resource management, biodiversity and habitat, forestry, fisheries, agriculture, and climate change in the context of two broad objectives: environmental health and ecosystem vitality. The EPIs proximity-to-target methodology facilitates cross-country comparisons among economic and regional peer groups. It was formally released in Davos, Switzerland, at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum on January 28, 2010. The 2010 EPI is the result of collaboration between the Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy (YCELP) and the Columbia University Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN).
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy - YCELP - Yale University, Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN - Columbia University, World Economic Forum - WEF, and Joint Research Centre - JRC - European Commission. 2010. 2010 Environmental Performance Index (EPI). Palisades, New York: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). https://doi.org/10.7927/H4D21VHT. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
- Available Formats:
- document, tabular, map service