- To provide tabular data to researchers without GIS capabilities who need data on population and land area by country across a range of physical characteristics. These include measures such as the number of persons living within coastal zones, the percent of a region within specific elevation strata, or the number of persons living within different climate zones.
- The National Aggregates of Geospatial Data Collection: Population, Landscape, And Climate Estimates, Version 3 (PLACE III) data set contains estimates of national-level aggregations in urban, rural, and total designations of territorial extent and population size by biome, climate zone, coastal proximity zone, elevation zone, and population density zone, for 232 statistical areas (countries and other UN recognized territories). This data set is produced by the Columbia University Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN).
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
Center for International Earth Science Information Network - CIESIN - Columbia University. 2012. National Aggregates of Geospatial Data Collection: Population, Landscape, And Climate Estimates, Version 3 (PLACE III). Palisades, New York: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). https://doi.org/10.7927/H4F769GP. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
- Available Formats:
- map, tabular, map service