- View Recommended Citation(s)
- Recommended Citation(s)*:
Frolking, S., T. Milliman, R. Mahtta, A. Paget, D. G. Long, and K. C. Seto. 2022. Global Monthly and Seasonal Urban and Land Backscatter Time Series, 1993-2020. Palisades, New York: NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC). https://doi.org/10.7927/gr2e-dh86. Accessed DAY MONTH YEAR.
Frolking, S., T. Milliman, R. Mahtta, A. Paget, D. G. Long, and K. C. Seto. 2022. A Global Urban Microwave Backscatter Time Series Data Set for 1993-2020 Using ERS, QuikSCAT, and ASCAT Data. Scientific Data 9: 88. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-022-01193-w.
* When authors make use of data they should cite both the data set and the scientific publication, if available. Such a practice gives credit to data set producers and advances principles of transparency and reproducibility. Please visit the data citations page for details. Users who would like to choose to format the citation(s) for this dataset using a myriad of alternate styles can copy the DOI number and paste it into Crosscite's website.
† For EndNote users, please check the Research Note field for issues with importing authors that are organizations when using the ENW file format.
The Global Monthly and Seasonal Urban and Land Backscatter Time Series data are available in GeoTIFF format (.tif) and netCDF v4 with default internal compression (level 7) format (.nc), packaged in Zip (.zip) files. Data files are available for urban land at a seasonal time step, or all land at seasonal and monthly time steps. Within each Zip file, the data are grouped by sensor: ERS (1993-2000), QuikSCAT (1999-2009), and ASCAT (2007-2020). In order to provide complete years of data in the time series, periods of missing data are represented by individual TIFs or netCDF bands of NoData values. For example, although QuikSCAT coverage begins in July 1999, data layers of NoData values are provided for the months of January through June 1999.
To support lower bandwidth connections, the monthly data are also provided packaged separately by sensor.
Downloaded Zip files must be uncompressed in a single folder using either WinZip (Windows file compression utility) or similar application. Users should expect an increase in the size of downloaded data after decompression.
Seasonal Urban and Land Backscatter (all instruments):
- Seasonal Urban Backscatter (netCDF) [98 MB]
- Seasonal Urban Backscatter (GeoTIFF) [157 MB]
- Seasonal Land Backscatter (netCDF) [3.9 GB]
- Seasonal Land Backscatter (GeoTIFF) [4.4 GB]
Monthly Land Backscatter (all instruments)
Monthly Land Backscatter (individual sensors)
- Monthly Land Backscatter, ERS: 1993-2000 (netCDF) [2.7 GB]
- Monthly Land Backscatter, ERS: 1993-2000 (GeoTIFF) [3.1 GB]
- Monthly Land Backscatter, QuikSCAT: 1999-2009 (netCDF) [3.7 GB]
- Monthly Land Backscatter, QuikSCAT: 1999-2009 (GeoTIFF) [4.4 GB]
- Monthly Land Backscatter, ASCAT: 2007-2020 (netCDF) [5 GB]
- Monthly Land Backscatter, ASCAT: 2007-2020 (GeoTIFF) [5.8 GB]