The files included in the China County-Level Data on Population (Census) and Agriculture, keyed to 1:1M GIS Map are in ArcInfo export format and dBase IV format.
my901.e00: Single-precision derivative of the tbd90 (China Administrative Regions GIS Data: 1:1M, County Level, 1990) geocoded to match with the chinaad1.dbf, chinaad1.e00, chinaae1.dbf and chinaae1.e00 data files which use administrative units of mid-year 1990.
Thematic Data Files:
The data are identified in two variable groups: population census data and countryside agriculture statistics data.
Population Census Data in County Level:
- chinaad1.e00: Census - Population Variables in ArcInfo export format.
- chinaad1.dbf: Census - Population Variables in dBase IV format.
- chinaae1.e00: Census - Occupation and Ethnicity Variables in ArcInfo export format.
- chinaae1.dbf: Census - Occupation and Ethnicity Variables in dBase IV format.
Countryside Agriculture Statistics Data in County Level:
- chinaag1.e00: Agricultural Variables in ArcInfo export.
- chinaag1.dbf: Agricultural Variables in dBase IV format.
- 1990 Census variables
- Agricultural economics variables
G. William Skinner: Dataset Description
The China County-Level Data on Population (Census) and Agriculture, Keyed to 1:1m GIS Map was provided by Prof. G. William Skinner (Professor of University of California-Davis, USA).
The data were created from (1) Tabular data source; and (2) County boundary GIS data source:
(1) Tabular Data Source:
- The 1990 Provincial Census Books, published by China Statistics Publishing House, 1992;
- The China Rural Agriculture Statistics, 1990, published by the China Statistics Publishing House, 1991.
(2) County Boundary GIS Data Source: Liu Chuang, Yao Xurong, and William Lavely: China Administrative Regions GIS Data: 1:1M, County Level, 1990, published by CIESIN, May 1996.
The China County-Level Data on Population (Census) and Agriculture, Keyed to 1:1m GIS Map was developed by the team let by Professor G. William Skinner (Professor University of California-Davis, USA). The activities of the team included data collection, database design and implementation from 1994-1996.
Ms. Chessy Si (Research Assistant at University of California-Davis), Mr. David Liu (Research Assistant at University of California-Davis), and Ms. Alana Boland (Research Assistant at University Washington) joined the team and assisted in the data entry and geo-code checking.
Mr. Richard Cicone (Director of the Information Resources and Technology, CIESIN) coordinated the project support by CIESIN.
The SEDAC (Socioeconomic Data and Application Center) China task group coordinated data management at CIESIN. Contributors included: Dr. Liu Chuang (Information Scientist and China Task Leader) for coordinating between CIESIN and CITAS, and within the China task group, as well as the data checking and dataset guide; Dr. Karen C. Sullivan (Information Specialist) for the metadata records; Ms. Mahasin Z. Muhammad (Data Systems Specialist) for archiving the data; Mrs. Clara J del Valle (Data Specialist) for permission of the data dissemination; Dr. Liu Chuang and Dr. Darryl Charache (Information Scientist) for the World Wide Web (WWW) site; Mr. Richard L. Robinson (User Services Manager) and Mr. Jack M. Evans (Data Specialist) for user support; Dr. Robert Chen (Director of Data Center Services and SEDAC Project Manager) provided overall project guidance.
China in Time and Space (CITAS), University of Washington, USA
Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN)