Gridded Population of the World (GPW), v4Follow Us: Twitter Follow Us on Facebook YouTube Flickr | Share: Twitter Facebook
What’s New in Revision 11
The nine data sets of the current release are collectively referred to as the Revision 11 (or v4.11) data sets.
Web Mapping Services (WMS) for 78 layers from the Basic Demographic Characteristics data set have been published. The existing 26 WMS services in the GPW v4 collection have been updated with v4.11 data.
In this release, several issues identified in the 4.10 release of December 2017 have been corrected as follows:
- The extent of the final gridded data has been updated to a full global extent.
- Erroneous no data pixels in all of the gridded data were recoded as 0 in cases where census reported known 0 values.
- The netCDF files were updated to include the Mean Administrative Unit Area layer, the Land Area and Water Area layers, and two layers indicating the administrative level(s) of the demographic characteristics input data.
- The National Identifier Grid was reprocessed to remove artifacts from inland water. In addition, two attributes were added to indicate the administrative levels of the demographic characteristics input data, and the data set zip files were corrected to include the National Identifier Polygons shapefile.
- Two new classes (Total Land Pixels and Ocean Pixels) were added to the Water Mask.
- The administrative level names of the Greece Administrative Unit Center Points were translated to English.
A log of changes to the data sets by version is available on the Documentation page and is included with each downloaded data set.